Last year I made a good candied sweet potato recipe. However, I wanted to make an easier and better-for-you version of the side dish I grew up loving during the holidays. This new recipe is so much simpler and contains far less sugar. I even like the flavor better. It’s still sweet, has a hint of orange and cinnamon flavor. I love it. Although I prefer yams, feel free to use either yams or sweet potatoes in this recipe. Also, this recipe can be made oil-free. I added the oil just to give these sweet potatoes a glossy sheen.
My friend, Jasmine, and I created a bountiful feast for our readers to enjoy, which consists of 13 deliciously tantalizing recipes that will make everybody’s taste buds dance for joy! We’re referring to this collection of recipes as our Sweet Eclectic Thanksgiving celebration! We hope you and your family love it!
Photo Credit: Jasmine Briones
Please make sure to tag us on Instagram: @yvonne_deliciously_vegan @sweetsimplevegan Twitter: @yvonnemrod @sweetsimpleveg and hashtag #SweetEclecticThanksgiving #MyEclecticKitchen if you recreate any of our recipes! We would love to see your photos and Thanksgiving feasts!
4 cups sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
3/4 cup orange juice, fresh
1 ½ cup filtered water
1 cup medjool dates, pitted
¼ tsp cinnamon, ground
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp coconut oil (or grapeseed oil)
Note: Best made a day or a few hours in advance.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Wash, peel, and cut the sweet potatoes or yams. Place them in an 8”x8” or 9”x9” casserole dish, and place the casserole dish in the center of a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
3. In a blender, add the remaining ingredients: orange juice, filtered water, pitted medjool dates, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and oil. Blend well, until the dates are pulverized. If the mixture is a little chunky, that’s fine.
4. Pour the wet mixture over the sweet potatoes or yams and toss to coat. Place in the oven for about 45-55 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes, and cook until the sweet potatoes or yams are fork tender.
5. If made a day in advance, remove from the refrigerator and place in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes.
Share on Facebook